Wednesday, March 5, 2014

ASH WEDNESDAY

Wednesday, March 5
Joel 2:1-2, 12-17 or Isaiah 58:1-12
Psalm 51:1-17
2 Corinthians 5:20b-6:10
Matthew 6:1-6, 16-20

“Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your father in heaven.” Matthew 6:1

Lent 2014 begins like so many before, what do I give up, what do I take on? Is it really 40 days or can I cheat on Sundays? If you’re like me, every commitment seems to produce a little loophole. Just in case I slip, is all lost?


This little book of meditations is a small commitment in time, and if I do miss a day, I know I will catch up quickly. For you see each of these meditations is written by someone in my church family. A family I love. I look for inspiration and insight from those I know. I know they have read and prayed over that day’s bible readings and want to share something that inspired them. This beautiful collection is an incredible collaborative effort into our journey through Lent together.


In the above verse Jesus is introducing us to three acts of righteousness; giving, praying and fasting. He asks us to do them for ourselves and for him. How we do any good deed is as important as what we do. Who gets the glory is the daunting question. Each time I write one of these meditations I wonder if I should put my name at the end. Am I labeling it as mine, am I doing it “to be seen by them”? I justify my name below because it means so much to me to see other writers names. I love being in a collective family of believers. Traveling through Lent together gives me the confidence and security of facing the deep emotions of this season. Among other things, we give up the Alleluias during Lent as we ponder all that Jesus gives and went through for us. Supporting and praying for each other during this journey is in his name and to his glory. And I know soon we will again sing his praises with Alleluias, together.


On a journey with you,

Jennie Perry