Thursday, March 6, 2014

Psalm 37


Thursday, March 6
Habakkuk 3:1-18
Psalm 37
Philippians 3:12-21 
John 17:1-8

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him, Do not fret over those who prosper in their way, Over those who carry out evil devices. Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret – it only leads to evil. Psalm 37


Do you fret? I do. I’d like not to, but I do.

The central message of Psalm 37 is that we are not to worry or be envious when we see others who seem to prosper through evil: dishonesty, selfishness, aggression, bullying. The psalm assures us, “they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb.” Instead, trust in God and do good. “The meek shall inherit the earth, and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.”

Well, fine, I say to myself, but when exactly are these people going to fade like the grass? How about today Lord? I want to see it happen! But wait – I fret – I spend my energy (and my grace) waiting to see justice. But the message of the psalm is to “be still before the Lord”, to “wait patiently for him.” I take a deep breath, become aware of God’s presence, his love.

I forget about justice. I find peace.

Bob Lowe