Wednesday, March 27, 2013

WEDNESDAY OF HOLY WEEK

Wednesday, March 27
Jeremiah 17:5-10, 14-17
Psalms 55, 74
Philippians 4:1-13
John 12:27-36
 Philippians 4:4-7, 12-13

“Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!
Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

As part of Nathan’s confirmation studies, he asked me about what I do to maintain my faith.  I told him about my Faith Journal where I place scripture and encouraging quotes.  My first two entries covered just this encouragement that Paul gave to the people at Philippi during his first imprisonment in Rome:

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Matthew 6:27
and the quote:
Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows,
but only empties today of it’s strengths.

Paul faced his imprisonment with the secure knowledge that God would always be with him, through every trial and tribulation:

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
  
Sue Jolly
Parent, Holy Spirit Episcopal School