Tuesday, March 26, 2013

TUESDAY OF HOLY WEEK

Tuesday, March 26
Jeremiah 15:10-21
Psalms 6, 94
Philippians 3:15-21
John 12:20-26
In reading the passages for today, I was struck by how dramatic the language is:
·   “I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping.” (Psalm 6:6)
·   “O Lord, you God of vengeance, you God of vengeance, shine forth! Rise up, O judge of the earth; give to the proud what they deserve! O Lord, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked exult?” (Psalm 94:1-3)

This language seems so out of step with how we talk and write today. Admittedly, I sometimes read the Old Testament in an overly dramatic voice akin to some of our worst actors of the day. Clearly, the psalmists are in major pain here. Clearly, things are going very, very wrong in the world, but in my obnoxiously cynical way, I get hung up on the language. The authors’ pain is lost in translation.

I was thinking how I often purposely lose the translation in today’s painful world, in particular every time I hear about another mass shooting. When Aurora happened, I shook my head and I said a prayer for our nation, but I went on. When the mall shooting happened in Oregon, I shook my head, said a prayer and vowed never to go mall shopping so close to Christmas. Realistically, if I allowed myself to become outraged—if I flooded my bed with tears at each one or if I rose my fist in the air imploring God’s vengeance—I wouldn’t be able to function.

But when our most recent mass shooting happened in Connecticut, the pain came through loud and clear. Like those parents, I too have a six-year-old, and the thought of losing my son, Atticus, in a blink of an eye, the thought of the fear and confusion those children suffered from moments before their lives were extinguished, made me reel. One of my favorite mock newspapers, the Onion, ran a headline that day that read: “Report: It’s Okay To Spend Rest Of Day Curled In Fetal Position Under Desk.” That’s exactly how I felt. I was overwhelmed by the pain.

There is tremendous pain all around us. There are people grieving as I write this, and today, I’m grateful not to be in their shoes. But pain is a given in this world. We blot it out when we can. We may even mock the drama of it at times to help ourselves cope. We allow ourselves to lose the translation so we don’t have to face it. But when the pain comes through loud and clear, when we are “shaking with terror” (Psalm 6:2), there is comfort in God.

“They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail over you, for I am with you to save you and deliver you, says the Lord.” (Jeremiah 15:20)

Susan Diemont-Conwell