Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our Secret Edge


Wednesday, March 12
Genesis 37:25-36
Psalms 49, 53, 119:49-72

1 Corinthians 2:1-13
Mark 1:29-45
page9image3744
page9image4016
One of the frustrations of life is that we must make decisions. Can’t avoid ‘em. From the earliest age, we have choices. Left or right? Yard work or the TV? More hours on the job, or more time with the family?

The answers to my problems, my issues, are usually obvious. Putting aside the details that may be involved, making a decision usually isn't as hard as it seems: Because inside, I already know what I should do. I know the answer. I’ve been empowered with an internal decision-maker known as the Holy Spirit. It was placed there before birth and affirmed at baptism and confirmation.

I remember sometimes as a boy being asked or nudged in a direction that was unfamiliar or daring or edgy. Sometimes I went along with the group and did the easy thing. I knew it was wrong because that internal spirit was telling me it was wrong. I just decided not to listen, decided to act in my own selfish way. Often to my regret.

In today’s reading from Corinthians, Paul tells us of the gift of the spirit. Verse 7: God’s secret wisdom, which he chose for us before the world began ... Verse 10: To us, God made his secret known ... Verse 12: As Christians, we have not received the world’s spirit, we have received the spirit of God.

We pray, we go to church, we have contact with other Christians to keep being reminded of this great gift. I’ve learned when I listen to that little voice, I’m more likely to make the right decision.

Ed Spaulding