Thursday, March 13, 2014

Genesis 39:1-23


Thursday, March 13
Genesis 39:1-23
Psalms 19, 46, 50, 60
1 Corinthians 2:14-3:15

Mark 2:1-12
Genesis 39:1-23 – The Lord was with Joseph and blessed him.

Really? Joseph was blessed and a favorite of God yet look at all that happened to him. Taken from his family, thrown into a well, sold to the Ishmaelites, put in prison, and never saw the promised land. In spite of all that God did indeed bless Joseph. He favored him with special gifts that allowed him to be reunited with his family and live a good life in Egypt and gave him the knowledge that those who came after him would see the promised land.

What is distinctively good about the good news of the bible is that the Living God is all we hope God to be. We all are blessed by God. He gave us whole lives by his death and resurrection. When I moved to Texas, in the heat of the summer, 34 years ago, I thought I landed in hell. That was so wrong to have so little faith in God’s plan for me. My life has been blessed and enriched by the Texas sun, the Texas citizens, and my Texas church home.

Easter and Lent are times for hearing the Good News and meditating on all our blessings, big or small.

Father, thank you for the joy may children have given me, the love of my husband, the many people I can count as friends, that there is so much more laughter than tears in my life and all the blessings in my life. Be with me this day and every day as I seek to have a closer relationship with you.

Susan Montgomery