Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thursday, February 14   
Deuteronomy 7:6-11
Psalm 37
Titus 1:1-16 
John 1:29-34
I’ll begin with a confession: I’m kind of an Old Testament snob. The history has never made sense. The names are a newscaster’s nightmare. If I want violence, there’s TV or the movies. In 15 years of writing Lenten or Christmas meditations, I imagine I’ve dealt with a New Testament reading just about every time.

Reboot!

Psalm 37 is one to bookmark or print out and put in places you’d look when the world starts ganging up. Almost everyone can find a verse or two, a passage or thought that will lighten the darkness.

A few of my favorites:

**Verse 28 – “The Lord loves what is right and does not abandon his faithful people.”

**Verse 21 – “The good man is generous with his gifts.”

**Verse 7 – “Don’t be worried about those who prosper or those who succeed in their evil plans.”

**Verse 16 – “The little that a good man owns is worth more than the wealth of all the wicked.”

**Verse 25 – “I have never seen a good man abandoned by the Lord or his children begging for food.”

Words to live by. Thoughts to be comforted by.

On this day of hearts and flowers and candy, happy Valentine’s Day.

Ed Spaulding