Wednesday, February 13, 2013

ASH WEDNESDAY


Wednesday, February 13
Jonah 3:1-4:11
Psalms 32, 95, 102, 130, 143
Hebrews 12:1-14
Luke 18:9-14
It was my first Mardi Gras in New Orleans as an “adult.”  I was an 18-year-old college freshman, making my way down Bourbon Street with a rugby team from San Diego my roommate and I met on the streetcar.  I was doing my best to appear cool and collected, but I was actually terrified.  As the hours wore on, my new pals were getting increasingly out of control.  There were so many people packed onto the French Quarter that, at times, my feet weren’t even touching the ground as we moved.  I was going along with the crowd not only figuratively but also literally.  All of a sudden, the crush of people became much worse.  I looked up and saw a line of policemen coming toward us on horseback, pushing the sea of people aside and yelling into their bullhorns, “Mardi Gras is over!  Get off the street now!”  It was midnight.  The police were clearing the way for the large mechanical street sweepers and garbage trucks that followed them.  Fat Tuesday was indeed over.  It was Ash Wednesday, and Lent had begun.  It was all very sobering.  We were swept off the street like dirt off a porch.

That has always been a powerful image for me, the dramatic moment at midnight when the Carnival season abruptly ended and Lent began.  It was also amazing to me that no matter how much filth there was to clean up that night, the job got done.  Lent is like that.  God gives us the opportunity to repent and reflect, to clean up our act.  No mess is too big.

Today’s readings remind us of not only of God’s justice and righteousness, but, most importantly, his abundant mercy.  God is always willing to forgive our transgressions.  He is always willing to give us a fresh start, whether we deserve it or not.  It is such an incredible gift.  Let us use this gift of Lent wisely.

Evelyn Snow