Sunday, February 17, 2013

FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT

Sunday, February 17
Deuteronomy 8:1-10
Psalms 63, 98, 103
1 Corinthians 1:17-31
Mark 2:18-22  
I like to think of my daughter, Lauren, as our family's spiritual leader.   Though she's only seventeen, she has often initiated our involvement in things that have helped us to grow in our faith.  Lauren traveled to Africa last summer and though she was the only member of our family that actually made the journey, we've all been touched by her time there and the connections she made with people while visiting.  Lauren spent two weeks in Zambia volunteering at Camp Life.  Camp Life is a lot like VBS.  It offers children, many of them orphans, living in extreme poverty, an opportunity to spend a week in a safe, joy-filled environment.  They are loved on and fed well, something that for most does not happen near enough.  They are fed spiritually too, as Camp Life seeks to teach the Zambian children that God has a love for them that is strong and deep.  The experience provides an avenue for some children to find financial sponsorship.  This for many may ultimately be the key to their escape from poverty.  Families around the world that choose to sponsor a Zambian child make a commitment to give a monthly donation for years to come...a sacrifice, but for many in our country, it's a sacrifice that is hardly felt.  

I remember driving Lauren home from the airport the day I picked her up when she returned from Zambia.  She gazed out the window as we sped down the Beltway on our way home.  I could see that she was looking at the many homes, businesses, and restaurants that we were passing.  She didn't say a word, but softly began to cry.  I pulled off the road and hugged her tightly.  She sobbed, "We have so much here...it's just not fair." When we got home, Lauren showed us pictures and told stories that were not easy to see and hear.  There are times I wish I didn't know what life in Zambia is like for the children Lauren came to know and love.  If I didn't know, then the images Lauren shared might not creep into my mind when enjoying a pricey meal in a restaurant.  I might be tempted to look for a bigger, newer house.  I could possibly splurge on whatever my heart desires and not even think twice.  In Deuteronomy, Chapter 8, though, there is a simple, but powerful message that, along with my daughter's experience in Africa, reminds me that we are to think beyond ourselves in all that we do.  The chapter is titled in bold, Do Not Forget the Lord.  When we remember that our purpose here is to serve Him and that it is He who has provided for us abundantly, it becomes only natural to share our blessings with those that struggle in heartbreaking situations.

My prayer this Lenten season is this:  Lord, help us that each and every day, we might focus on three things...simplicity, sacrifice, and service.  In doing so, we will not forget you.  We will not forget your blessings nor the sacrifice that you made for us.  We will instead glorify your name as we love and care for one another.

Beth McGee