Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday, February 18
Deuteronomy 8:11-20
Psalms 41, 44, 52
Hebrews 2:11-18
John 2:1-12
Psalm 44 starts with a long list of the great works God has done for Israel in the past. Then there is an even longer list of the sufferings they were currently experiencing. It ends in a plea, “Rise up, come to our help. Redeem us for the sake of your steadfast love.” My study Bible says that it is a group lament, and was most likely written during the Babylonian Exile.

I could really see myself in this psalm. There have been times when I felt just like the psalmist, especially during the years when I was suffering from depression. It is a very emotional outpouring. My version goes something like this:

“God, I love you, and I know you love me. I have experienced your work in my life. However, right now, things are just awful, and I can’t seem to find you anywhere. I haven’t forgotten you; and I am trying my best to follow your path, but God, this is all too much. It feels like you have forgotten me. I don’t think I can take much more! Where are you? Help me!”

Through it all, I know that God is there, even when I feel alone and lost. I depend on that “steadfast love.” Then, at some point, I find God again. Once again we walk down the path together and carry on long, rambling conversations.

And that is the most precious gift there is.

Susan Bowen