Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday, March 9
Genesis 43:1-15
Psalms 69, 73
1 Corinthians 7:1-9
Mark 4:35-41
God Answers Prayer

A man I knew was in a treatment program for alcohol addiction.  A speaker mentioned that he believed that God always answered payers.  The man disagreed strongly and said: “I know that God doesn’t always answer prayers because when I was at the depths of my drinking I prayed earnestly that God would take my life, let me die, or give me the courage to kill myself, and I am still here.”  The speaker replied kindly: “You’re wrong. God answered your prayer.  The answer was No!”

At times when my faith is weak I sometimes wonder if God is listening.  But it is usually because I’m not getting the answer I wanted.  I not only wanted ask for God’s will but also to dictate what that would be, and it doesn’t work that way.  In Psalm 73 the writer bemoans the fact that wrongdoers succeed, that it makes no sense to play by the rules.  But after sincere prayer he sees that such worldly success is fleeting and that God is indeed faithful always to those who sincerely seek to do his will.

The disciples are quick to give up on Jesus when the storm threatens to capsize their boat but are of course rescued by the calming words of Jesus. Jesus chides them for their lack of faith, so quick to disappear in time of trouble.  The fact is that God is faithful and always answers prayer. Our job is to have faith and to be willing to listen for an answer we didn’t expect.

Bob Lowe