Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Psalm 55
Jeremiah 17: 5-10, 14– 17
Philippians 4: 1-13
John 12: 27-36

In John's gospel today we find Jesus speaking about his own death. Telling people that he has a choice here - he could ask God to save him from death. And a voice answers him from the heavens saying, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." God it seems, wanted others to know where he stood on this . And yet the people questioned the voice - thunder, some said. Angels others suggested. All the while denying that it was God's voice.

Jesus goes on to remind us that he is the Light and that because of him we are called children of light. He encourages us to connect with him, so that the darkness will not overcome us. In the song, "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" by Randy Newman, a homeless man shares a bleak view of the human race. Lots of years of being ignored and forgotten have jaded this man's belief in kindness. Words on signs meant to encourage outreach are more mockery. And those words hurt more than heal.

Jesus life to us today is more than words on a page. His admonition to walk with the Light gives us our marching orders. We are the light of the word. We have a choice here we can chose cynicism or we can choose the light. If it rains, and we hear the thunder of the needy and feel big drops of the tears of others pain, we can trust that God does in fact call us to reach out and bear witness to the Light, as children of the Light!

I Think It's Going to Rain Today
Song by Randy Newman

Broken windows and empty hallways
A pale dead moon in the sky streaked with gray
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today
Scarecrows dressed in the latest styles
With frozen smiles to chase love away
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today
Lonely, lonely
Tin can at my feet
Think I'll kick it down the street
That's the way to treat a friend
Bright before me the signs implore me
To help the needy and show them the way
Human kindness is overflowing
And I think it's going to rain today
Kari Ann Lessner