Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Psalm 121, 122, 123
Jeremiah 25: 8-17
Romans 10: 1-13
John 9: 18-41

The Ledge of Light by Jessica Powers

I have climbed up out of a narrow darkness on to a ledge of light. I am of God; I was not made for night. Here there is room to lift my arms and sing. Oh, God is vast! With Him all space can come to hole or corner or cubiculum. Though once I prayed, “O closed Hand holding me...” I know Love, not a vise. I see aright, set free in morning on this ledge of light. Yet not all truth I see. Since I am not yet one of God’s partakers, I visualize Him now: a thousand acres. God is a thousand acres to me now of high sweet-smelling April and the flow of windy light across a wide plateau. Ah, but when love grows unitive I know joy will upsoar, my heart sing, far more free, having come home to God’s infinity.

“The Ledge of Light” from The Selected Poetry of Jessica Powers, edited by Regina Siegfried and Robert F. Morneau. Kansas City, MO: Sheed & Ward, 1989.