Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Psalm 118
Jeremiah 23: 16-32
1 Corinthians 9: 19-27
Mark 8:31-9:1

“He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?”

The work of Lent is a real thing that we are doing together. We aren’t just observing something that happened long ago or thinking theoretically about our lives or who God is. We haven’t given up something or taken on a spiritual practice because it is fun. This is real life and we are talking about how our understanding of what God did on the cross for us informs who we are in Christ. This is about who we are and who God is. This is about turning ourselves back to God (the literal meaning of the word repent).

What do you need to lay at the foot of the cross? What is interfering with your relationships and keeping you from loving the people whom God has given you? What are you doing to yourself that is not good for you? What is keeping you from life? Isn't true life that is so freely offered to us by the grace of God worth giving up all the things that come between us?

Pray with me: “Dear God, I want to know you more fully. I want to follow you in all that I do. I know I will make mistakes in that quest, but I also know you are already prepared to forgive those mistakes. Lord, make your home in me. Let my life be your life and may your cross save me and your resurrection be my hope.” 

The Reverend Joshua Condon