Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday, March 6, 2015

Psalm 69
Jeremiah 5: 1-9
Romans 2: 25-3:18
John 5: 30-47

The royal official asked Jesus to come with him to save his dying son. Jesus told the man that his son was well, and to return home. The man believed and went on his way.

It was a long journey home, at least two or three days. What must that trip have been like? He believed Jesus, and so he had just experienced a miracle. What a relief it must have been to know that his son would live. And yet, how could this be? Was he sure that Jesus words were true? How could his dying son be well again? How difficult it must have been to go between feeling certain of Jesus words and then doubting if it could be true. Then knowing, then doubting. His relief must have been immense when his servant rushed up and confirmed his son’s health. Yet he still had to determine the time of his son’s improvement before he was sure in his heart that it was indeed the work of Jesus. With doubt set aside, it must have been a joyous homecoming.

I imagine this royal official’s journey, because it corresponds with my journey. No matter how certain I am of Jesus’ love and gifts to me, as I walk the path, I have moments of doubt. Sometimes small, sometimes huge. I argue with myself. Then, God sends another reminder that it’s all true, and I become gratefully joyful.

Susan Bowen