Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Psalm 37: 1-18 

Deuteronomy 7: 6-11 

Titus 1: 1-16

John 1:29-34

It wasnt too many years ago that I really struggled with the Psalms. I found so many of them to be whiney and filled with pleas for Gods vengeance against enemies; often bloody vengeance. It made me wonder who my enemies were. I certainly couldnt think of anyone I wanted death and destruction for.

I know the Psalms were a comfort to many and I wanted to search that out. Our Psalm today, #37, is certainly one of those. Its message of Godly wisdom is profound. The first words, Do not fretbring a sigh of relief for whatever may be troubling us.

Typically my bible of choice is one of the more traditional translations. My NIV study bible happens to be filled with highlighter markings and notes in the margin. Well I want you to see what I found when I read Psalm 37 in The Message, particularly the 4th verse.

                RSV, NIV and NASB: Delight yourself in the Lord
                                                     and he will give you his hearts desire.

               The Message: Keep company with God                                                                                                                                                                                   -                                     get in on the best.

I love that! This for me sums up all I yearn for in life and it is what I feel when I am in the company of this church family. We are at our best when we are in company with God, collectively and individually.

I highly recommend Psalm 37, in any version.

Jennie Perry