Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Friday, February 27, 2015

Psalm 40, 54 

Deuteronomy 10: 12-22 

Hebrews 4: 11-16

John 3: 22-36

As I write this, our Holy Spirit family is in the midst of tragedy. Its hard to concentrate, hard to focus and hard to write thoughtful words. As I read the scripture from todays assignment, I am reminded of Gods simple promises. Its the stone that David refers to in Psalm 40:2, “(He) set my feet upon a rock”, that Im clinging to. In my uncertainty about worldly circumstance, its good to know certain truths on which I can stand. It brings to mind the words and hand motions to the childrens song The wise man built his house upon the rock”, in which you pound your one fist into the flat palm of the other. Its with that hand-pounding urgency that I recall certain truths of which I am certain...

God is love, the great I AM and Jesus loves me (“this I know”).

He so loved the world that he sent his only son to die for us.

Nothing can separate us from the love of God. His love transcends time.

God forgives...“forgive us our trespasses as we forgive othersand will cast our sins as far as the      east is from the west.

His mercies are new every morning.

God hears our prayers and knows the longings of our heart. God has plans for us.

God promises everlasting life to all who believe.

We are Easter people, living on this side of the empty tomb imagining new life for friends weve lost on the other side of those light-filled heavenly gates. Its faith that we are left with in the in between”. For these truths, I am grateful, for they help me regain my footing on that solid rock of Jesus.

Melissa Peter