Sunday, March 30, 2014

Psalm 95

Sunday, March 30
Exodus 17:1-7
Psalm 95
Romans 5:1-11
John 4:5-42 
Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! Psalm 95

I started singing in choirs when I was in the 4th grade. I met my husband at an annual week-long choral camp in northern Indiana. Imagine, an entire week of doing little else other than sing morning, noon and night! In fact, with the exception of a few years while I was in college, I have sung in choirs since I was 8. Usually, I am a member of a church choir, which I enjoy because there is so much beautiful music that has been written the last 2000 odd years that praises God and his son.

Frequently, if I am talking to someone at church about them joining me in the choir I am frequently told don’t sing well enough. The Parish choir works hard to sing well, and hopefully we are pleasing to listen to, but our main job is to praise God. All the beautiful sounds in the world are wasted if we fail to praise God and his son.

Even during the penitential season of Lent, we need to do what this Psalm tells us to do, make a joyful noise!

Lyn Morris