Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Psalm 81



Wednesday, March 26
Genesis 45:16-28
Psalms 81, 82, 119:97-120

1 Corinthians 8:1-13
Mark 6:13-29

page23image3416
page23image3688
11 But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me.
12 So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.
13 O that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!
Psalm 81

“I’m in control” – isn’t this the unfortunate message here? Pity is, we are not in control, not even of ourselves, if we were we would be perfect and we’re not.

So what do we do? Well, we first need to acknowledge that we are sinners, that we need help and need to turn to the longstanding tradition for help -- prayer and trust.

Christ suffered, died and rose again that we might have that help and his undivided assistance in getting it right.

I once attended a church where some of congregation wouldn’t take Eucharist because they felt unworthy. That Rector struggles to this day with proponents of that principle. It is sad that these Church goers, despite years of the message that Christ died to forgive our sins, still want to carry their sins themselves - being in control - you know.

I believe the message is to trust in our hope in Christ. I get that message every Rite 1 post communion prayer
- “we are heirs, through hope, of thy everlasting Kingdom.”

I pray we can all Hope better.


John McGarvey