Sunday, March 24, 2013

PALM SUNDAY

Sunday, March 24
Zechariah 9:9-12 or 12:9-13:9
Psalms 24, 29, 103
1 Timothy 6:12-16
Matthew 21:12-17
He is Mighty to Save

“Savior, He can move the mountains.  My God is mighty to save, He is mighty to save.  Forever, Author of Salvation, He rose and conquered the Grave.”  I have sung this chorus many of times, but it wasn’t until recently that God shed some new light on it for me.  God can move mountains… have you ever really pondered that thought?  Of course our all powerful God can do whatever He pleases, but do you believe that?  I would like to encourage you to look for God through things that interest you. 

I have been fascinated by rainbows since I was a child.  It wasn’t until later in my life that I knew that a rainbow is a reminder of His promises to us.  Not so ironically, two days before I was asked to write this devotional, God showed me the most amazing rainbow.  This particular rainbow came at the most perfect time for me and was one like I had never seen before.  This rainbow was straight up and down, like it was pointing up to heaven, but that was not the most amazing part of this rainbow… it wasn’t raining!  It was a beautiful, blue sky, with a rainbow!  He certainly got my attention.  This brings me back to the thought of He can move mountains.  For me, seeing a rainbow on a sunny, blue sky day, meant that God was with me, through all that I was facing that day and what is to come.  I believe that if you diligently look around, you will see God’s presence in your life.  If you are going through a valley and think He isn’t near, keep looking, He most definitely is!  I have learned that He never leaves your side, and you can have His peace, if you search for it… in Him. 

In Psalm 103 David lists out many reasons we have to praise God.  He heals us from our diseases, redeems us from the pit, crowns us with compassion, and he does not treat us as our sins deserve.  Our most powerful God, the one who created all and raised Jesus from the dead, doesn’t just show us His strength, but also his love, compassion, and peace.  Today, I choose to Praise Him for these things.  I thank him for personally speaking to me.  I hope that you will look for Him, sometimes in obvious places, sometimes not, know that He genuinely loves you and watches over you as His child.  Praise God!

Angie Foster
Parent, Holy Spirit Episcopal School