Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday, February 25
Jeremiah 1:11-19
Psalms 56, 57, 58, 64, 65
Romans 1:1-15
John 4:27-42
Romans 1:11-12 "I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong —that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith."

My girlfriends and I have been known to call for a "huddle" in times where we are in need of some prayer.  That huddle is like a lifeline from each of us directly to God.  Knowing that someone is literally, "standing in the gap" (for more on that see Ezekiel 22:30) is a powerful encouragement.  Today, Paul is calling for a prayer huddle with the church in Rome.  He is saying, I know things are hard, and I REALLY want to be with you... but the time just isn't right.

I know God's timing is perfect. I keep telling myself that our new pastor/friend/priest/boss won't come one minute too soon or ten minutes too late... but some days are especially hard to buy that piece of real estate.  So I'm clinging to the promises that He has made us... Holding on for dear life to Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love. He will rejoice over you with singing."  Or the one that I'm CLAIMING (claiming I tell you...) over Holy Spirit Episcopal Church.  Psalm 27:13, "I am CONVINCED, that I will see the goodness of the Lord, in the land of the living."

We are NOT a dying church - we are a church that has been pruned and is waiting for the goodness of the SUN with the coming of spring!  I feel like right now we look a bit like a crepe myrtle. You know the ones that my friends who are gardeners refer to as having been "crepe murdered" - we look stunted and awkward... But give us time and then watch us come into our own.  Having been pruned - we will be a healthier parish for this experience!

And fear not, sisters and brothers... He will bring us a faithful pastor. And not a moment too late!

Godspeed,
KariAnn Lessner
Dir. of Children’s and Family Ministries/Contemporary Worship Leader, Holy Spirit Episcopal Church