Sunday, December 9, 2012

SECOND SUNDAY OF ADVENT


Sunday, December 9
Isaiah 5:1-7
Psalms 114, 115, 148, 149, and 150
2 Peter 3:11-18
Luke 7:28-35

 Psalm 148

Over the Thanksgiving break Ron and I took our girls and my sister's family to Schlitterbahn, Galveston. The trip down was filled with lots of excitement, cousins jockeying for bragging rights (who could go down the most slides the most times... that type of stuff.)  We got there, staked our claim on a couple of picnic tables, braved the chilly water, made a few trips around the lazy river and the kids asked if we could try the water slides.

My youngest nephew, Colby rushed up to the sign that read, "You must be at least 48" to ride this attraction." He pressed his little feet to the wall and stood as tall as he could.  Grinning at me with his toothless smile he asked, "Aunt Kari... Am I enough?" My heart just squeezed inside my chest. His spiky blond hair and bowed chest measuring 49.5 inches. I answered, "Yes, Colby Gene... you are MORE than enough!"

Isn't that the cry of all of God's children? Am I enough? I know it is the cry of this child's heart... I often wonder am I doing enough? Am I serving enough? Am I enough?

Today's Psalm (148) is King David's way of saying we all have ONE job to do in this life - to Praise the Lord!  And be you lightning or hail, young men or old, sun, moon or shining stars... your one job is to praise Him.  It says in verse 14, "And he has raised up for his people a horn," the horn symbolizing strength. There is strength to be found in praising the Lord!

So during this time of preparation, when you feel stretched thin, when you feel like you are not enough for the task at hand... Remember, your one job is to praise the Lord! It doesn't matter if you are a big old mountain or a tiny hill, some little lemon tree or a mighty cedar - You are ENOUGH for this one job! You are more than enough to praise the Lord!

KariAnn Lessner