Thursday, April 5, 2012

MAUNDY THURSDAY

Thursday, April 5  
Lamentations 2:10-18
Psalms 102, 142, 143
1 Corinthians 10:14-17, 11:27-32
Mark 14:12-25
Today is Maundy Thursday.  The passage in Mark describes the Last Supper that Jesus shared with his disciples on the first Maundy Thursday.  What a meal that would have been, a meal that would be remembered forever by Jesus’ disciples.  Even though the real significance of the meal was only revealed once Jesus had risen from the grave on Easter Sunday.  How did Jesus feel on Maundy Thursday?  Scared?  Alone?  Debating another path to take?

At a Bible study one day, we looked at a portion of Psalm 118.  We were told that parts of this Psalm may have been read as part of the Passover meal, the Last Supper.  Imagine Jesus saying these words the evening that He was to be abandoned by his closest friends and handed over to the authorities:  This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it... You are my God, and I will give you thanks: you are my God, and I will exalt you.  Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.  Psalm 118:24, 28, 29

Wow!  That seems impossible to believe.  That Jesus, on that night, knowing the horrible things that would soon happen, could rejoice and be thankful to God.  He had a vision and an understanding of the work that needed to be done.  He could see the big picture.  He knew that His death would give life to all.

Casting Crowns sings a song entitled, Voice of Truth.  When I hear the chorus of that song, I envision Jesus singing these words on Maundy Thursday:
But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says do not be afraid
And the Voice of Truth says this is for my glory
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe
The Voice of Truth

Shari & Ian Watson