Sunday, March 18, 2012

FOURTH SUNDAY OF LENT

Sunday, March 18 
Genesis 48:8-22
Psalms 19, 46, 66, 67
Romans 8:11-25
John 6:27-40
The gospel reading in John takes place the day after Jesus fed the five thousand.  Jesus knows that many in the crowd are there just for some more free food, so he says: "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of God will give you.  On him God the father has placed his seal of approval."  I don't think we're talking about employment or earning money here, and the people didn't seem to think that either, because they ask Jesus what the works are that God requires.  Jesus answers, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Believe in Jesus.  That's all we have to do.  Jesus later says, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."  How simple it is once you do believe, but it's not easy getting there for most of us.  It certainly wasn't easy for that crowd because they immediately asked for a miraculous sign even though Jesus had just given them one the day before.

As we prepare for Easter I wonder if as modern believers we don't continually ask God for miraculous signs too.  As I fail in my fast from whatever I gave up, or don't spend the extra time allotted for prayer or bible study during Lent, am I not now more focused on the works I'm doing or failing to do?  Then I pray for help from God to be miraculously more self disciplined.  Of if I am successful does it not become a source of pride?   Oh the musings of mortal man.

But Romans 8 tell us, "And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.  He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his spirit who lives in you."  Now that is really a miraculous sign.

Dear Lord, we pray that your Spirit in us becomes more and ourselves less.  Let our thoughts be on you and others. Amen.

Bernadette Ellis