Sunday, March 27, 2011

THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT

Sunday, March 27

Jeremiah 6:9-15

Psalms 34, 93, 95, 96

1 Corinthians 6:12-20

Mark 5:1-20

Oh Come, let us sing to the Lord;

Let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation!

Psalm 95:1

There are a number of Psalm options for today and I wanted to pick the one I thought would be used in the Sunday service. Fortunate for me, 95 is an uplifting and joyful Psalm. I don’t know about you, but I struggle with the Psalms. I have always been told of their power in prayer life, the comfort they bring in times of distress and the beauty they hold. I know that Jesus learned them as a child and quoted them numerous times as an adult.

But for me, the Psalms often seem to be whiney and vengeful. So often the writer wants God to not only save and protect, they want God to do awful acts of wrath to their enemies. This is not my favorite form of daily devotion. Now I do realize that it is my attitude that needs adjusting. And, I do believe that this is what Lent is all about; adjusting our attitudes.

Psalm 95 is filled with praise and glory to God. It also points out the powerful need and command to be obedient.

Praise and obedience; the perfect combination for a Godly life.

A great attitude during Lent and always.

Jennie Perry